General Health Information:
- American Academy of Pediatrics: A wealth of information for parents on children’s health, developmental issues; excellent place to shop for books on parenting.
- Mayo Clinic General Health Topics – Hundreds of detailed health topics.
- Kids Health: health information with separate sites for parents, children, and teens.
- Medline Plus: health topics, drugs and herbal supplements, medical dictionary and encyclopedia, surgical videos.
- American Academy of Family Physicians: health information for the whole family.
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry: answers to frequently asked questions about your child’s teeth.
- Kids Nutrition: Healthy eating tips and other nutritional guidance for children.
- Take 3 Actions To Fight Flu: Healthy tips to prevent your family from contracting the flu virus.
- National network for immunization information: useful information on vaccines including the diseases they prevent and the side effects of each vaccine.
- Center for Disease Control vaccine safety: addresses specific concerns that parents often have about vaccines, including the use of mercury in vaccines, autism, and intussception.
- Vaccines and Autism: information about Vaccines and Autism.
- Center for Disease Control traveler’s health: information on health topics by destination, including vaccines and medications you will need for your trip; also has information on preparing for international adoptions.
- Go Ask Alice: Columbia University’s health-related website for adolescents and young adults.
- I Wanna Know: answers to questions adolescents may have about sexual health and sexually transmitted infections; also has advice for parents about talking to teenagers about sex.
- Nutri-teen: Lots of nutritional information for teens.
- Kelly Mom: Breastfeeding support, including safety of herbal and traditional medicines during breastfeeding.
- La Leche League: Homepage for national organization dedicated to breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding: US government breastfeeding website.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission: list of recalled products, safety tips.
- Internet safety: information for parents, kids, and adolescents about how to use the internet safely and protect your family from exploitation.
- Accident Prevention: how to keep your children safer from accidental injuries.
- Environmental toxins: introduction to toxic chemicals and environmental risks.
- Car seats: Car seat information from the U.S. Department of Traffic Safety.
- Pesticides: Information on pesticides and environmental hazards.
- Medline Plus: Information on prescription and over-the-counter medications, as well as herbal supplements; includes details about side effects, storage, and what to do if you miss a dose.
Children with Disabilities:
- Disabled Children Info: Website for parents and children with disabilities, provides a list of resources in Livingston and Steuben counties in NY.
- Allergy: Useful information about Allergies.
- Asthma: the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology’s website contains asthma resources and a daily pollen count.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder: useful site for families affected by ADHD; provides educational information, support and advocacy.
- Autism: Information about Autism.
- Cerebral Palsy: information on motor disorders including Cerebral Palsy.
- Eating Disorders: homepage for the National Association of Anorexia Nervosa and Associated Disorders; includes links to support groups.
- Learning Disabilities: information on learning disabilities and attention problems.
- National Organization for Rare Disorders: database of rare diseases, with links to support groups, the latest research, and other resources.
- Speech-language and hearing: information on speech, language and hearing.